Can I just say that I think I have convinced non-beet lovers to fall in love with beets. Seriously friends, this beet and berry smoothie is the perfect way to fuel up before a grueling run, or to enjoy after, like I just did! If you dislike beets, please don’t let that stop you from trying this epic smoothie! In fact, I guarantee you’ll want this smoothie every morning until you run out of those beautiful red beets you are not so sure you want in your CSA box.
If you are a beet lover, than my job is even easier. I happen to love beets and smile every time I open my CSA box and find more! Since discovering this amazing smoothie in my newest cookbook, I’ve been snatching up a few more bunches of beets this week at my local famers market. YUM!
Look what else I spotted at the market! Fresh Ginger! I was soooo excited because there is something so different about purchasing ginger fresh verses dried!
Did you know both ginger and beets have anti-inflammatory properties and many other health benefits? I have been enjoying a cup of peppermint and ginger tea every night for years after dinner since both are very soothing for the tummy. Many of my runner friends have found this to be perfect for their any stomach issues they often times experience.
Beets are also gaining much more respect among runners, including your’s truly. They have a ton of anti-oxidants and minerals which are all good things for your cardiovascular health. Check out this article for even more health benefits! Have I convinced you to EAT YOUR BEETS? I have always loved beets and I am not so sure why it took me so long to try them in a smoothie! I am loving Shalane Flanagan and Elyse Kopecky new book! Thank You!
If you’re not crazy about beets on a salad before or even after a run, I can guarantee you’ll love this Beet and Berry Rich Smoothie! I used my wild blueberries but any berry with work, and don’t forget the greens! The coconut water gives a boost of electrolytes and the almond butter is a healthy fat to help absorb fat-soluble vitamins in the beets and berries. This smoothie is not only pretty to drink but incredibly tasty too! ENJOY! I am so happy I convinced you to fall in love with beets…or at least this smoothie!
BEET AND BERRY SMOOTHIE WITH FRESH GINGER (adapted from Run Fast and Eat Slow)
- 1 small roasted beet peeled and quartered
- 1/2 cup frozen blueberries
- 1/2 frozen banana
- 1/2 cup of unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 cup of coconut water
- 1/2 inch of fresh ginger peeled
- 1 tablespoon of almond butter
- 1/2 tablespoon of flax seed
- 1 tsp of raw honey
- handful of greens if desired
- 1 serving of Shaklee Life Energizing Shake Vanilla
- Place the beet, blueberries, banana, milk of choice, coconut water, ginger, almond butter, flax, honey, greens, and Shaklee Life Shake in Blender.
- Blend on high speed for several minutes. Add ice and additional liquid if desired and blend again.
- Enjoy before a run for fuel, or after for recovery.
- Or for convenience, make this smoothie the night before. My husband finds his early in the morning while I am still asleep. He shakes and sips while watching the morning news.