Anyone else crave Mexican like me? Let me tell you, this dish can be described in one word….AWESOME! It’s the perfect word to describe this spicy, gooey, Mexican dish. It’s gluten free and loaded with lots of veggies, plus it uses left over roasted chicken so it’s comes together in a snap!
It’s like taking all the goodness of enchiladas but instead of rolling, stack everything up, and bake it under a nice layer of Mexican cheese. It may not look pretty…I never claimed to be a good photographer, but I do think I can cook “amazing” dishes.
The only way you can probably make this better is by making your own enchilada sauce, tortillas, and cheese. By all means, go ahead if you have time, but today it was all about convenience, and AWESOME! So we take the sprouted corn tortillas, enchilada sauce, shredded chicken, and the cheese ( I used a blend of Colby, Jack and Cheddar) and then we “create” the Mexican Layered Tortilla Dish.
Here’s the thing about this Dish….. it’s awesome, even though I took a few short cuts. After all, who makes their own tortillas and cheese? OK….sorry, maybe some cooks do.
I did use my left over roasted chicken from Sunday Night Dinner, so that counts right. But guess what, rotisserie chicken will work too!
So here you go. A bit of sauce. Stare your layering. Tortillas, chicken and veggies, cheese and repeat. 50 minutes in the oven. Yum. Easy Peasy. This is one healthy dish that even my most finicky eaters will love! You can also make it spicier by using the seeds from the jalapeño, or not. A mild or medium sauce.
Like it saucy, use a bit more sauce. Like it cheesy, use a bit more cheese. I’d suggest making this as is; ya know why? Because it’s AWESOME!
MEXCIAN LAYERED TORTILLA DISH
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 each red, yellow and green pepper, diced
- 1 jalapeno
- 1 jar of enchilada sauce
- 2 cups of shredded left over roasted chicken
- 1 package of sprouted corn tortillas
- 1 12 oz package of shredded cheese
- cilantro, avocado, sour cream, and other desired toppings
- Heat oil in large cast iron pan. Add onions, peppers, and jalapeño. Sauté till veggies tender. Set aside
- Place about 1/4 cup to 1/3 cup of enchilada sauce on bottom of 9 inch baking dish.
- Start layering. Place about 3 tortillas on bottom. Tear them to fit.
- Spread with half of your chicken and veggie veggie mixture and half of cheese.
- Place two to three more tortillas over cheese and spread with enchilada sauce.
- Place 3 more tortillas over sauce and spread with remaining chicken and veggie mixture.
- End with cheese.
- Bake at 400° for 40 minutes, covered.
- Uncover and bake an additional 10 minutes.
- Let set for 10 minutes before serving.
- Top as desired.