I get it, asparagus soup is not all that exciting compared to a cheesy pasta dish, a chocolate treat, or even a fat juicy burger, (sorry no burger as of yet)! But since I am getting so much flack for not sharing my asparagus soup recipe I promised to blog about weeks ago, I thought I should get busy before I get banned from our next runners group gathering.
Besides, it’s asparagus season and although this soup may sound boring, I promise it’s not! My friends can vouch for me! It is truly delicious. In fact, is there anything more comforting than a bowl of pipping hot soup when it’s chilly outside? I honestly think soup is my favorite food category. In fact, I may make a new category just for SOUP since I happen to enjoy them year round! And spring it the perfect time of year to make this one.
I challenge you to make this soup and ask yourself, “isn’t this the one you’d make every spring?” It’s certainly not boring! You know why?
It has some of my favorite ingredients, besides asparagus that is. Coconut Milk for one! And look at all that fresh Nutmeg. Coconut Ghee too!
Usually when you make a creamy soup like this, you finish it by adding some cheese, but not this time folks. I, instead, added a can of full fat coconut milk and hoped and hoped that this would turn out just as good or even better than most other creamy vegetable soups made with cheese.
According to my fellow running chicks, it did! Although, the truth of the matter is, they didn’t know it didn’t contain cheese.
Plus I used my favorite new kitchen tool..My Instant Pot. I started with a simple sauté of onion and lots of garlic. I switched my Instant Pot from Sauté to off and than threw all of my asparagus into the pot. Next I added my homemade bone broth. Simply add enough broth to cover all your asparagus and press soup button. Increase time to 25 minutes. “WOOT WOOT”. “It’s almost time!” “BEEP BEEP”!
Choose between a natural or manual release. Add a can of full fat coconut milk, blend with a hand immersion blender, and ENJOY!
“WAIT WAIT”! I forgot… if you are a cheese lover, don’t let me stop you! My friend Sarah set out a bowl of parmesan cheese for an optional garnish. Parmesan cheese sprinkled on just about anything, espeically soup, is quite delicious. At least I think so, and so did all my friends. Bonus, if you’re lactose intolerant, this soup fits the bill since it’s made with coconut milk and we’re serving cheese on the side. You are so welcome!
CREAMY ASPARAGUS SOUP (adapted from Jennifer Whitney)
- 2 to 3 bunches of fresh asparagus chopped in 2 inch pieces
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 3 large garlic cloves minced
- 4 cups bone broth or good quality chicken stock
- 1 can of full fat coconut milk
- 3 tablespoons of coconut ghee or butter and oil
- 1/4 teaspoon of fresh nutmeg
- sea salt and fresh ground pepper
- All Purpose Seasoning or Herbamare to taste
- Fresh Cream if desired
- Yogurt or Creme Fraise or parmesan cheese for garnish if desired
- Add coconut ghee or butter and olive oil or coconut oil to your Instant Pot. Press Sauté button, add chopped onion and season with salt, pepper and Herbarmare or seasonings of choice. Heat for about 5 minutes or until soft. Stir often.
- Add Garlic and sauté another 30 seconds. Turn Instant Pot to off.
- Add your asparagus and bone broth and press soup button. Use the arrows to set timer to 25 minutes.
- Do a quick release or natural and add full fat coconut milk. Blend with Immersion Blender. Add additional cream if desired.
- Serve your choice of garnish.