How many others love cooking with their cast iron skillet? I seriously hit the jack-pot! I ran across this recipe a couple weeks ago I believe on Mind Body Green. They listed some of the top cast iron skillet recipes and these tacos caught my eye immediately.
My husband loves tacos…I mean loves them, almost as much as pasta! But would he love meatless ones? These tacos even won him over! “Wow, these have a ton of flavor!”
He was a bit skeptical since they didn’t have any meat, but once again, he admitted a plant based meal can be just as satisfying😉.
I ditched the meat as suggested and used a handful of plant-based ingredients:
- caramelized onions, coconut aminos, sun dried tomatoes, and smoked paprika with a bit of spice
- french green lentils for protein and fiber
- a smoky goat cheese to give them even more flavor
- sweet sun gold tomatoes which scream summer
The result EPIC! What a great combo! A savory, sweet, smoky filling that reminds me of something made over a fire. I LOVE these tacos! The sun-dried tomatoes give this a sweet brightness since they are so concentrated, but the sun golds add that smack of summer.
There is nothing better than french lentils since they are loaded with good for you things like PROTEIN! Sometimes it’s so hard as a runner to get in the recommended daily amount of protein, especially when you’re not a meat lover. Lentils fit the bill…plus they are a good source of fiber and most often easier to digest than beans, espeically if you soak them first, like I did.
SMOKY FRENCH LENTIL TACOS (adapted from Naturally Nourished)
- 1 cup French green lentils (optionally soaked in cool water for up to 8 hours or over night)
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 2 medium yellow onions, diced
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- ⅓ cup (70 g) chopped drained oil-packed sun dried tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon hot smoked paprika (or regular smoked paprika plus cayenne to taste)
- 1 ½ teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons coconut amino
- Sprouted Corn tortillas
- Chopped tomatoes or cherry tomatoes
- Tomato salsa
- Sliced avocado
- Lime wedges
- Smoked Goat Cheese – OR (queso fresco, or feta, crumbled or other cheese of choice)
- Micro greens or shredded cabbage
- Sour cream or greek yogurt
- Drain the lentils if soaked, place in a medium saucepan, and cover with 3 inches of water. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to maintain a simmer and cook until the lentils are very tender but still mostly holding a shape, 20-30 minutes. Drain and rinse well.
- In a wide skillet, melt the coconut oil over medium-high heat. Add the onions and salt and cook, stirring frequently, until golden, about 10 minutes. Add the garlic, sun dried tomatoes, paprika, oregano, and coconut aminos. Stir to coat, adding a splash of water if the pan is dry, and cook until fragrant, 2-3 minutes. Stir in the lentils and cook until heated through. Taste for salt, adding more if you like. The lentils keep well, refrigerated airtight, for up to 1 week.
- To make the tacos, warm the tortillas and top with warm lentils and your favorite toppings. I love to throw some cheese into the tortilla while it’s warming up. ENJOY
Question: Do you try and eat plant based occasionally? What’s your favorite plant based meal if you do? You can leave a comment by clicking here.