Did you watch the New York City Marathon? Even if you’re not a runner, you probably saw Shalane Flanagan on some morning, afternoon, or evening talk show after being the first women to win in over 40 years! She’s such an inspiration!
She is one of my favorite elite runners, who definitely deserves everything she’s worked so hard to achieve. I love how she continually inspires runners of all ages.
I’ve mentioned her recipes in previous posts, but seriously, her cookbook is delightful. I can’t wait for her new book to be released.
“Rainbows of carrots are the pride of market growers who display ever more shapes, sizes, and colors each year,” says Beth Dooley from The Farmer’s Market Cookbook. Did you know come winter, carrots are sweeter because their starches convert to sugar… this soup is so simple but Oh so RICH TASTING AND SATISFYING.
If you have home-made bone broth, I highly recommend making all yours soups using your own broth. You’ll not only notice a huge difference in taste, but homemade is always more nutrient dense and therefore much more nourishing as well.
Wouldn’t you know it, after whipping up this soup, I discovered Shalane includes a similar soup to mine in her EAT FAST RUN SLOW cookbook. She happens to throw in rice but since this is my week to avoid grains due to our Healthy 5-Day Reset, my recipe doesn’t include rice (or potatoes like Beth’s). I promise you won’t miss either one!
I love following Shalane both on Instagram and FB. When I saw this Instagram post, I was in awe. How about you…”do you write out your goals?” “Read them week after week?” She certainly has inspired me to not only continue my running journey, but to pursue cooking, blogging and growing in my faith, just to name a few!
You’re going to love this soup. It’s amazing how good a soup can be with such simple ingredients.
- 2 tablespoons of Coconut Ghee, butter or sunflower oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 tablespoon of grated fresh ginger
- 4 cups of carrots, chopped
- 1/2 cup of apple cider vinegar or fresh lemon juice (1 to 2 lemons)
- Bone broth…about 5 cups.
- pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
- salt and fresh ground pepper
- chopped crystallized ginger optional
- Set your Instant Pot to sauté (or a soup pot and use medium-high heat). Heat the ghee, butter or oil and sauté the onion until it’s soft and translucent.
- Stir in the ginger, carrots, spices, apple cider or lemon juice, and enough bone broth to cover. Let boil for a minute or two. Turn Sauté button off.
- Switch your Instant Pot to Soup Mode. Set it to 25 minutes or turn down your soup pot and simmer till veggies are tender.
- Puree the soup with a hand blender or use your blender. Taste your soup and season with additional salt and pepper if desired.
- Serve with optional fresh chives or crystallized ginger.
Question: Have you ever consciously eliminated grains and other foods during a healthy Reset or Cleanse? Would you be interested in learning more..if so, contact me. You can leave a comment by clicking here.