Sunday Brunch occasionally will include a muffin, scone, or sticky bun if we venture into Minneapolis to one of my favorite cafes. Both my husband and I love hanging out at different trendy restaurants on a Sunday morning enjoying some dark roast coffee, a pastry and usually something with a runny egg.
Recently we shared a tasty chocolate muffin and I brought one home for my mom to enjoy too. Lucky me! Guess what showed up a later on my birthday! A plate full of some of these incredible Muffins (which could pass for cupcakes) and some Halo Ice Cream. “Did you get to pick your birthday treat growing up as a kid like me?” I felt like a kid again and I am 55…A GOOD DAY!
One of my favorite smoothies is this one because it seriously reminds me of a scone
or muffin. I happen to love pastries but only treat myself occasionally since they’re probably not the healthiest breakfast on this planet compared to my smoothies. But when it’s your birthday and you have a mom that bakes amazing pastries, how can I refuse! I can’t! Most anything with good quality chocolate is good…especially on your birthday.
It was a perfect birthday doing many of my favorite things. Running, rewarding myself with an amazing brunch after and than dinner with my family which included these dark chocolate scrumptious muffins (cupcakes) for dessert. ” YUM – THANKS MOM!”.
I am going to do my best to re-create these and make them healthier by using this Namaste Mix and less sugar but until than, there is nothing wrong with splurging on my birthday…everything in moderation after all! So if you want to freeze them and pull one out occasionally to enjoy with a cup of your favorite coffee, I won’t tell.
- 2/3 cup raw cocoa powder
- 1 3/4 cup organic unbleached flour
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon of pink Himalayan Sea Salt
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar
- Combine all dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Whip together the wet ingredients.
- Add the wet to the dry. Mix gently
- Pour into paper lined muffin cups and bake at 425 for 15 minutes (don’t over bake).
- DO ENJOY WITH A CUP OF DARK ROAST IN THE MORNING OR WITH ICE CREAM ON YOUR BIRTHDAY.