My husband and I love everything about meals in a bowl! I mean seriously, what is not to love? Just throw everything in a bowl and dinner is ready in minutes.
Here we are approaching the end of May and the sun is finally throwing off some heat and Summer is almost in full swing which means fresh veggies and salads for me! I tend to crave everything fresh this time of year and sushi happens to be at the top of my list.
Wednesday’s are a really long days for me beginning most often around 5:00 am with a run, some strength work, and a bit of foam rolling if there is time. It’s also my day to help out at the Village Shop so I am there from 9 to 5. Almost immediately after, I change back into my running clothes and head to my Wednesday night run and tone class. So by the time I get home I am famished!
This sushi bowl is just perfect after a tough workout and on a hot summer day. The seafood was just the protein boost I needed after an incredibly active day! And all those yummy veggies gave it an excellent crunch! The avocado and sauce add some creaminess and a little bit of a bite while the cauliflower rice added a nice touch. I even put a big bed of spinach underneath because you all know by now my love for greens! Besides it’s good extra iron! These are all great things for runners.
If you love sushi, you will absolutely love the flavors of this sushi bowl. To be honest, I bet you’ll love this even if you don’t like sushi! Below you’ll see the list of ingredients without amounts mostly becuase it’s more about what you like in your bowl.
My sauce recipe is also included but feel free to use your fave!
- Fresh spinach leaves
- Cooked cauliflower rice
- Large frozen pre-cooked shrimp, thawed
- Smoked salmon or Tuna or both
- English cucumber, sliced thin
- Fresh carrot, sliced thin
- Fresh radish, chopped
- Fresh peppers, sliced
- Fresh, ripe avocado, sliced
- Sushi Sauce (below)
- Fresh Ginger, Wasabi, Black Sesame Seeds (optional toppings)
- Make a bed of spinach at the bottom of your bowl.
- Arrange the rice, shrimp, salmon, tuna, cucumber, carrot, radish, peppers and avocado in the bowl.
- Top with your favorite sauce or my recipe below and other optional toppings as desired and dig in!
- 2 Tablespoons Coconut Ghee, melted
- 1/2 plain greek yoghurt
- 3/4 up good quality mayo, I used this one
- 1/4 cup ketchup or chili sauce
- 2 teaspoons of date sugar
- 2 Tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon of minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon pink Himalayan sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 – 4 teaspoons Sriracha hot sauce (to taste)
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk all ingredients together.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge. Tastes even better the next day.