Let’s end the year with another tasty recipe ok! Tender peas give this sauce such a gorgeous hue and it’s so perfect over pasta, “zoodles” or in my opinion, straight from the jar! Yes I am a food nerd.…HAHA.
Traditionally Carbonara sauce is heavy and may leave you feeling like you need a nap …you know what I mean right? Eggs, cream and butter combined with bacon and pasta not exactly healthy right? I am always looking for ways to make a recipe healthier and this sauce will leave you feeling so much better.
So instead we use fresh peas, avocado, eggs and lemon juice. The freshness of the peas and the creaminess of the avocado combined with an egg and egg yolk…EPIC.
You don’t believe me do you? My husband doesn’t even like peas and he had seconds – granted he didn’t know he was eating a pea sauce😂.
Bonus for us runners too! Did you know peas have anti-inflammatory properties and are high in fiber and protein. WOOT WOOT!
I tossed this sauce with gluten free brown rice pasta but zucchini noodles work well too and are actually my preference.
Since I had some good clean bacon in my freezer from a local farmer made without nitrates and hormones, I baked it in the oven till it was crisp. Rob loves his bacon super crisp so here’s a good tip: “Bake your bacon on a broiler tray so the fat can drip below and your bacon will get super crisp, usually about an hour at 350°F, flipping once”. Remember to save the bacon grease for sautéing!
Or leave the bacon off like I did and top it with a runny egg, if that’s the way you roll😋.
GREEN PEA CARBONARA
- 1 1/2 cups fresh green peas, or frozen thawed
- 1 large egg, farm fresh
- 2 large egg yolks, again farm fresh
- 1 ounce (1.4 cup) grated Parmesan cheese or Pecorino Cheese
- 1/2 cup pasta water (reserved)
- 1/4 teaspoon of Himalayan sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper
- 4 ounces pancetta or bacon, cooked crisp and than crumbled
- 1 medium onion chopped
- pasta or zoodles
- In a blender or food processor, blend peas, egg, egg yolks, cheese, and lemon juice on high speed until smooth, about 30 seconds. Add the salt and pepper.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Place bacon on broiler pan and back in oven till crisp turning once. Let cool and than break up into pieces.
- In large skillet over medium heat, sauté onion until soft, about 8 minutes. Add your cooked bacon if using.
- Cook pasta according to package directions just until tender but firm to the bite. Drain but reserve 1/2 cup of the pasta water. Add pasta to the skillet tossing with the onions and bacon for 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in pea sauce, working swiftly and vigorously so egg does not scramble If sauce is too thick, mix in reserved pasta water, a little at a time. Transfer to serving bowls and top with additional Parmesan cheese if desired.
Question: How was your year? Tell me about your favorite new healthy dish you recently prepared. Happy New Year from avocadorunners You can leave a comment by clicking here.