Whether you want to lose weight, build muscle, heal from an illness, or keep running till you’re in your 80’s, heck why not 90’s, here are some healthy tips I have discovered that work well for me. Remember, everyone is different and what may seem right for one person, could be harmful to another.
“The food you eat can either be the safest and most powerful form of medicine or the slowest form of poison.” ~Ann Wigmore
Here are 10 ways to Love & Heal your body through food:
- Eat ONLY when physically hungry. I am never hungry first thing in the morning, but it’s also the best time for me to run, so you can better believe I am famished when I return from my run and the gym. I love a Green Smoothie because it’s a perfect way to give my body all the nutrients it needs for muscle repair and satisfies me all the way till lunch time. I rarely need a morning snack, but personally, I don’t think they’re bad. In fact, if you’re hungry mid morning, have a snack. Eat when you’re hungry because if you don’t, you’re more likely to over eat later in the day. However, you can count on me enjoying an afternoon snack almost daily.
- Eat mindfully, slowly, and with joy and never eat on the run! Did your mother ever tell you to chew your food slowly. She was right again! Try to make every meal and snack an event. Your body will thank you.
- Eat whole, organic, locally grown and raised foods as often as possible and always eat your veggies first! I always tell my husband, summertime thru fall is the best and least expensive time to shop for groceries, not to mention, the funnest! Love my CSA and our Local Farmer’s Market!
- Eat more of foods that will “spoil” – if it won’t go bad, it might not be good! The less processed the better! Check out this article.
- Watch your liquid calories. Water the best beverage on the planet. Green Tea second. Plain organic dark roast coffee on occasion.
- Eat for nourishment of body, mind, and spirit! Don’t forget abiut feeding your mind and body spiritually too.
- Avoid eating foods that YOUR body cannot digest (even if it really is “healthy” it may not be for your body). Do your best to listen to your body. For example, if you feel sluggish after a big bowl of oatmeal in the morning, try a smoothie instead. Whole grains work for some but not for others.
- Avoid foods with ingredients only a biochemist would recognize… artificial flavors, colors, sweeteners, and preservatives. No fake food! No Fake Butter! Did you know bugs and animals won’t eat margarine? No Diet Soda! No donuts! Got the idea right!
- Take the top four supplements recommended my most Health Care Providers. A Daily Vitamin, Vitamin D, Fish Oil, and a good Probiotic. I happen to love the Company Shaklee. They’re always safe, always work, and are always green. Learn more here.
- Stop eating when physically satisfied (do not overeat by even a few bites). When dining out, try to remember to ask for a to-go box when the food gets to the table. Restaurant portions are ridiculously large. Agree? The best part, lunch the next day SOLVED?.
Health, fitness, and wholeness are created with the daily steps you take toward loving and healing your body. You can make nutrition a powerful ally by approaching food as medicine, as nourishment, and as a simple act of love and healing.
Your mind and body will thank you!
Hope this has been helpful. If you have any tips you’d like to add, I am all ears. Lets chat?.