You may have read in a recent post or else-where about the Instant Pot craze? This nifty appliance is definitley making quite an appearance on various blogs, including mine. I am one of those who took advantage of Amazon’s amazing Black Friday Deal of the Day.
So far I have made a risotto, polenta, stuffing, and this past weekend, my first soup. I happen to love soup all year round, but there is nothing better than coming home after a damp, dreary run, to a steaming bowl of soup.
This past weekend was just that….dreary, damp and chilly! I was also short on time and therefore excited to try out my Instant Pot once again! I am amazed, and to be honest, surprised at how much I am totally in love with his kitchen appliance. So much so, if you’re on the fence and concerned about the price, let me put your mind at ease. It’s so worth it.
It’s no secret that I love to cook and actually enjoy spending time in my kitchen preparing special meals for my friends and family. In fact, my husband tells me he’s quite lucky since I put a lot of effort into making delicious meals for him. We’ve been know to have scallops, shrimp, roasted chicken on a week night!
However, for those nights when life is bit more hectic, or when you’re looking at simplifying your day/night, wow! Buy and Instant Pot.
For this Kale, Sausage, and Potato Soup I did a quick sauté of onion, carrots, celery, garlic and ground sausage (I used a spicy Italian pork sausage from Prairie Pride Farms for a little heat).
Next I threw in a few potatoes from my CSA box this past year. I used both purple ones & yukon golds. YUM & pretty too!
I added lots of seasoning (thyme, salt, a little crushed red pepper) and 1.5 quarts of bone broth.
Now all you have to do is Hit “Soup” for 25 minutes, then turn off heat and do a quick release in order to open the lid to add more ingredients.
Add chopped kale and a generous splash of half and half (or coconut/almond milk, if dairy-free), continue to heat on “Sauté” if needed, or just with residual heat until kale is slightly wilted and your milk is warmed through.
Serve topped with a little Parmesan. And as always, this soup, is just as good the next day!
KALE, SAUSAGE, and 2-POTATO SOUP
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 10 ounces of spicy Italian Sausage (meat of choice)
- 2 teaspoons of thyme
- 1 large bunch of Kale, stems removed
- 1 1/2 quarts of bone broth
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon of red pepper flakes
- 8 ounces of coconut milk, half & half or cream
- Do a quick sauté of the onion, carrots, and celery, about 5 minutes.
- Add your garlic & sausage and seasoning of choice. (I used a spicy Italian Sausage and plenty of thyme, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes) and sauté about 5 more minutes.
- Add broth and press manual and adjust your time to 25 minutes.
- Do a Quick Release and than remove your lid; add kale and your milk, return to sauté to wilt Kale